Holiday Cards

Happy holidays!! Despite the daily count downs to Christmas provided by my kids, I cannot believe that it’s almost the end of the year. I managed to get our cards in the mail just this week, so hopefully they will all arrive before the holiday. And now that the cards have been sent off, can I just say WOW. Was my last post really way back in July?? Even though I haven’t been posting, I swear I’ve been crafting like crazy. Hopefully soon I will get around to posting everything that I’ve made in the past 5 months.  I mean, the kids started school in August – kindergarten & 2nd year of preschool, yet somehow having them in school each morning seems to have left me with less time than before.

I got Lawn Fawn’s Magic Slider die several months ago & finally gave it a workout in making these holiday cards! I knew I wanted to use a color scheme of blues, white, kraft, and silver. First, I cut the frame with rectangle opening and channels from blue satin Reich Shine 92 lb cover. I chose to cut two channels for each card & stack them, to allow the slider to move easily. The channels were stacked and adhered to the base of the slider frame with 1/8″ scor tape – 3 total layers of tape for each card. I printed our family picture onto some stickers that were the perfect size to fit within the space provided.

The stickers were big enough so that there was no gap once the front of the frame was closed, but also small enough to give me some wiggle room so I didn’t have to be super exact in its placement. Each sticker was also pretty thin, so it didn’t add much bulk, allowing the slider to move easier.

The Magic Slider slider part was die cut from shimmery ice silver Curious Metallics 111 lb cover. I tried it with the 80 lb text weight, but found that was too flimsy for the back-and-forth sliding action. I used Simon Says Stamp’s Hand Lettered Winter for the sentiment, and stamped that in Memento Teal Zeal. The snowflakes are from Pretty Pink Posh Winter Wonderland, and they were stamped in Memento London Fog. I found that these dye inks dried fast, didn’t smear, and allowed the shimmer to come through the ink. Whenever I do multiples like this, I find that using the MISTI is the easiest way to ensure exact placement on each piece.

I used the Push Here set from Lawn Fawn to stamp “PULL HERE” on each tab in Memento Tuxedo Black ink. These were also cut from the ice silver 111 lb cover and adhered to the top of each slider using my Scotch ATG.

The completed slider elements were then mounted with Scotch ATG tape to 3.25″ x 3.75″ rectangles cut from blue topaz Stardream 81 lb text weight paper. This gave a small light blue border on all sides. The same adhesive was then applied to the back of the blue topaz paper & adhered to the card bases.

The card bases were made from Neenah Desert Storm 120 lb cover weight cardstock. This is slightly heavier than the white 110 lb cover I normally use, but the next lowest weight in the Desert Storm color was 100 lb, and I felt that might not be sturdy enough to support the slider element on the front. I used my MISTI again to stamp sentiments from Concord & 9th’s Ornamental and Elizabeth Craft Design’s Merry & Bright, in Hero Arts Red Royal ink.

I went with an A6 size card this year, so that the magic slider would have plenty of room along with a stamped sentiment and border. However, this also meant that I could only get one card base from each sheet of 8.5 x 11 cardstock. I don’t like having to cut away so much paper, so I’m keeping all the extra scraps to use with a future project. (I think the heavy cardstock will work well with die cut critters mounted onto mini action wobbles!)

For the sentiment inside each card, I used the Wishing You Peace die from Studio Calico. This was cut from red lacquer Curious Metallics 80 lb text weight paper. This shimmery cranberry color is so pretty & looks great against the kraft card base. I first applied Scrapbook Adhesive’s double sided adhesive paper to the back of each sheet before running it through my Big Shot. This adhesive is strong and thin, so it die cuts beautifully and stuck well to the card base. The release paper is also pretty thin, so it was easy to remove. I went over each die cut with my teflon bone folder, to ensure that it was really stuck on there. I also used a microfiber towel to gently rub over each adhered die cut – this worked great in removing those tiny little extra pieces that tend to be attached to my die cuts when I’m using a very well-loved cutting plate. Check out these before and after pictures – you can see how all those pieces are gone after using the microfiber towel.

I cut some gray baker’s twine into 9″ lengths for the pull tab strings. Once the cards were written in and signed, I tucked them into Stardream Silver A6 envelopes and sent them on their merry way. Hope your holidays are wonderful, and best wishes for a happy & peaceful 2018!

You may also like

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *