Coffee Birthday Card

I made this birthday card for my husband, who definitely enjoys his coffee fuel. This stamp set and the little epoxy stickers came in the February 2017 Simon Says Stamp Card Kit of the Month. He’s the first person I thought of making a card for when I saw the reveal of this kit’s contents, but there are so many possibilities for friends and other family members, too!

I started off by cutting a piece of Strathmore Bristol Vellum to 4.25″ x 5.5″. I prepped the whole surface with an embossing powder bag and then stamped the coffee cup image repeatedly in Versamark ink. I varied the orientation of the stamp so I could create my own patterned background. I then covered the Versamark-stamped areas with ultrafine clear embossing powder from Hero Arts, tapped off the excess, and then heat set with my heat gun. Once all the embossing powder had melted and the paper was cool, I pulled out my ZIG Clean Color Real Brush markers to color in the images. I used the following colors: may green, olive green, cornflower blue, blue, peacock blue, carmine red, orange, bright yellow, gray, and dark oatmeal. I made sure all the marker was dry before going over the coffee in each cup with the brush tip of a Versamark pen. I used the same ultrafine clear embossing powder, and once melted, it gave a nice shine to the coffee.

I trimmed the panel down to 4″ x 5.25″ with my Tim Holtz Tonic Studios paper trimmer. I used Lawn Fawn’s Small Stitched Squares and cut out the second smallest square from 80 lb Neenah Desert Storm cardstock. I prepped the square with my EK Success powder tool and stamped the sentiment in Versamark ink. I applied Hero Arts white embossing powder and melted it with my heat gun. I cut a strip of lightweight 29 lb vellum so that it would wrap around the card front and sit behind the stitched square. I adhered the square to the vellum using scor-tape, and then popped it up on the card front with foam tape. I then realized that I had adhered the square slightly off-center and wouldn’t be able to remove it without damaging the card. So I took three of the cute coffee bean epoxy stickers and placed them on the vellum next to the square, hoping that the beans would help conceal my mistake. Well, now that my secret’s out, I might as well show you a close up.

I used 120 lb Neenah Desert Storm cardstock, cut to 4.25″ x 11″ and scored at 5.5″ with my mini scoring board and a teflon bone folder to create an A2 top fold card base. Finally I popped up the card front onto the card base using 2 mm craft foam and scor-tape.

You may also like

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *